Saturday, April 18, 2009

When Did We Get So Stupid?


How is it that the greatest civilization in the history of the planet managed to produce so many stupid people?

First, let me say that I don't claim to be a genius. I like to think I have slightly above average intelligence. I manage to make it through the day without walking out into traffic or electrocuting myself by using my hairdryer in the shower. I understand the basics.

I know that the 10 Commandments are not part of the U.S. Constitution. I understand that guns don't kill people, idiots with guns kill people. And I've learned that it's better not to know what's really in your hot dog. Most of us understand these things.

So why did the country that gave the world the Manhattan skyline, the moon landing and the Internet elect George W. Bush... twice? Why do people live in trailer parks in Tornado Alley? Why do we dump nuclear waste on a fault line? (google Yucca Mountain for that last one.)

Why? Because we're stupid.

Let me explain what I mean by that. Stupid people are not the same as dumb people. Dumb people stumble through life in a permanent haze. The world doesn't make sense to them. They will never understand that Jesus was not born in America and that appearing on The Jerry Springer Show doesn't boost your resume.

Stupid people are actually smart people that choose not to use the intelligence they were born with. I'm not talking about the brain fart that happens when you lock your keys in the car or forget to wear pants to work.

I'm talking about people who believe that dinosaurs and humans lived together like the Flintstones. The ones who don't get it that the Snuggie is just an over-sized bathrobe that you wear backwards, or that if their gay or lesbian neighbors choose to get married it won't effect their own marriage in any way, shape or form.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader