Friday, July 30, 2010

Author Anne Rice Leaving Christianity

Anne RiceImage via Wikipedia
Gothic horror novelist Anne Rice, who brought you "Interview with the Vampire" (and all its tedious sequels), stunned her fans a few years ago by announcing that she had returned to her Catholic roots and was steering clear of the dark side that brought her so much fame and fortune.

Now it appears that Rice has discovered something I realized long ago: there is a difference between faith and religion.

The sixty nine year-old author, who has become obsessed with posting biblical passages to her FaceBook status, posted the following on Wednesday:
"My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become."
Rice followed up that statement by explaining,  "In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader