Friday, March 5, 2010

Anti-gay Cali State Senator Busted for DUI Leaving Gay Club

This week just keeps getting better. Marriage equality in DC, a papal gay sex scandal and now politician with a 100% anti-gay voting record, gets pulled over for DUI after leaving a gay club with a bootie-licious hook-up in his car.

Sacramento's CBS-13 reports that California State Senator Roy Ashburn was arrested on suspicion of DUI after leaving the gay night spot Faces in Sacramento. Ashburn's blood alcohol level was measured at .14%, well over the .08% legal limit. The senator's state-issued vehicle was stopped at around 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning by police after is was seen swerving. The homophobic hypocrite was released on $1400 bail.

Senator Ashburn released the typical statement Wednesday afternoon. I can't help but wonder if these words are printed on a laminated card and handed out to every politician on their first day in office:

"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me – my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

Perhaps the biggest part of this story is that at least two California newspapers knew of Ashburn's secret gay life and did not report it. Bakersfield.com's Lois Henry wrote last night that she called Ashburn last summer to ask him about reports she had heard that he was about to be outed by an LGBT community newspaper. Henry says she asked him flat out, "Are you gay?", to which Ashburn replied, "Why would that be anyone's business? Including The Californian's? I think there are certain subjects that are simply not relevant and this is one of them. It has no bearing on the job I do."

Henry says based on the cryptic answers Ashburn gave and a lack of corroboration, she and her editor chose not to publish the gay allegations.

According to Project Vote Smart, Ashburn's voting record shows he has voted against every gay rights measure in the State Senate since taking office including Recognizing Out-Of-State Same-Sex Marriages", Harvey Milk Day and Expanding Anti-Discrimination Laws.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader