Monday, October 19, 2009

Equality Across the Commonwealth Update, 10-19-09

I wnat to share something that means the world to me. As a lot of you know, I had the honor of meeting David Mixner, whose call to action was answered by Cleve Jones and resulted in the National Equality March on October  11. I worte to him on FaceBook and told him about what we're going to be doing tomorrow night. This is what he wrote back:

Steven:

This is such exciting news. Thank you so much. Please keep me informed of your progress...you are an inspiration!

David
The meeting with Roanoke Pride committee went very well. I think we can count about 8 people from their group that will be joining us tomorrow night.

Things to Remember:

Our permit allows us to demonstrate from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm. We will begin assembling at 5:30. I know that people will be arriving gradually, but I'd like to get things started by 6:00.

This is a positive message that we are sending. We are supporting Creigh Deeds for governor and calling on both candidates to commit to total equality for all Virginians.

Bring posters, be creative. Keep your message short, sweet and POSITIVE, like "Love is Not a Crime",  "Equality Now" or something along those lines. Chuck Lineberg is making some posters tonight. I have printed about twenty 11" x 17" posters with 4 different sayings to pass out to those who don't have one.

We MUST stay on the side walk and not block pedestrian or vehicular traffic. There may be enough of us to march along the length of Peery Dr and High St. which go past Olin Hall, where the debate is being held.

Word is out that we will be there. There may be counter protesters. Don't be afraid and by all means DO NOT ENGAGE THEM! Do not shout back, do not get into arguments. Stay on message. The Salem police will be near by. Remember that they gave us permission to do this.

I will be the designated spokesman for the group. If you are approached by reporters, refer them to me.

Most of all, Have Fun! Sing, chant, make up funny sayings to make the case for equality.Here is a link to a map of Roanoke College:

http://www.roanoke.edu/map/
The best thing about the march in Washington was the joy in the air, the feeling of being united in a common purpose. Even the DC police said that gay rights marches are the best of all the marches they get assigned to because our cause is about the freedom to love. It was uplifting and so energizing that it made me want to do something when I got back home.

There were families with gay parents and straight kids, straight parents supporting their LGBT kids, nieces and nephews supporting their uncles and aunts.

I wrote about my day in Washington on the 11th and what the march meant to me. If you haven't read it, please do. If you have read it, please read it again. I think it will help to set the tone for tomorrow night.Click here to go to the story.

I will try to provide updates tomorrow as I am able. It's going to be a busy day. I can't wait to see you all tomorrow night.

I'm reposting a video of highlights from the National Equality March so you can get a sense of what it was like and to insipe you tomorrow night.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader