Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wonder Woman's New Look Revealed

NBC has unveiled the new costume for its reboot of the Wonder Woman TV series, starring Adrianne Palicki.

The new look pays homage to the classic look and has kept certain elements like the bullet-deflecting wrist gauntlets and golden lasso. Other classic costume elements have been toned down. The eagle breast plate/bra and tiara have been minimized, the patriotic, star-spangled panties have been replaced with blue leggings and the boots are now blue instead of red. The whole ensemble appears to be made of latex, which could have Palicki sweating her wonder tits off during some of the more rigorous action scenes.

Lynda Carter, star of the 70's the New Adventures of Wonder Woman, loves the new look, telling the Hollywood Reporter, "What's not to like! Adrianne [Palicki] looks gorgeous and I'm really looking forward to seeing David E. Kelley's new series."

When it comes to super heroes, I'm usually a purist. If it ain't broke, don't break it. But I'm kinda digging the new look. I understand the need for an update and I think it works. I just hope the writing and acting are as exciting as the new wardrobe.

Honestly, I hated the updated Superman movie a couple of years ago, especially the darker costume, which wasn't enough to bring a darker tone to the story. As for the acting, Brandon Routh, although gorgeous, was just phoning it in. I really wanted to love it, but instead I found it boring. Instead of an edgier, updated hero, we were given the same old boring two dimensional "Truth, Justice and the American Way" cardboard cutout. 

I really hope that Kelly has learned that today's audience expects more. We want our heroes to be flawed, imperfect and to have some emotional scars. I can't see how they can make that work with such an iconic character as Wonder Woman, but I'm willing to give it a try.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader