Thursday, August 11, 2011

Updates from G-Town and New Wave Wednesday on Thursday.

Okay, gays and gals, sorry for being such a slacker this week while I'm here in Gastonia. With all the job hunting, searching out free wi-fi, checking on the in-laws next door and catching up with old friends, I haven't been as diligent as I should be with this here blog thingy. I just realized I even forgot my weekly New Wave Wednesday post. I'll make up for that below.

I found a really cool hot spot for free wi-fi, good company and great coffee. It's called the Gas Pump Coffee Co. at 167 Main Ave. in the basement space below Freeman's Pub. It's owned by Ella, whose husband owns and operates the pub upstairs. It's nice to find a coffee place that's not a super chain, and they don't mind if you hang out just for the free wi-fi. I'll be here a lot until I get the inter-webs connected at the house.

So without further ado, here we are are a day late with the New Wave/Pop classic from the one and only Cyndi Lauper, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". It's not as deep a cut as I would I would like, but I really like the campy style. Lauper's thrift store look became all the rage back in '85. Back then I lived in DC and I remember working in Georgetown and watching the Cyndi, Madonna and Boy George clones wandering aimlessly up and down Wisconsin Ave. They never stopped to buy anything. They just wanted to be seen.

Enjoy and make it a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant and civil. Comments attacking other people will be deleted.

 
Subscribe in a reader